Autumn in the Heritage Rose Garden
Thank you for coming on Saturday, September 28, 2013!
Varieties of Roses Still Available
This is the list of roses we have left from our sale. They are available free to public gardens, historic restorations which open to the public, parks and historic cemeteries. Contact us (see below) if interested in any of these varieties for these purposes. We do not deliver or ship, so you'll have to arrange to pick them up.
|'American Pillar' On the Santa Clara Univ. fence Rambler Van Fleet 1902 This well known old rambler is a blooming machine in late spring.||See Photo|
|'Little Buckaroo' L-2-18, L-2-21 Min Moore 1956.
Bright red with white center and pointed petals, Little Buckaroo was one of Ralph Moore’s early successes, and remains one of the best early miniature roses. Found as far away as Texas, this little fella is a real survivor.
|'Cl. Jackie' Not in the garden, yet. Moore 1957 A light yellow, repeat blooming climbing miniature.||
|'Orange Triumph' P-7-6, P-7-22 1937 Kordes
No, it's not orange, it's red. The classification is Floribunda or Polyantha, but its ancestry includes Hybrid Musk and Wichurana rambler. We grow it with the Polyanthas.
|'Doorenbos Selection' O-22-13 One of the best Hybrid Spinosissimas, loved for its unusual color, followed by black hips. We've potted up some rooted suckers.|
'Yellow Bantam' L-6-31 MicroMini 1960 Moore
|'Baby Shower' O-22-28 Cl. Mini|
|‘Blushing Beauty’ (not in the garden) LCl Burbank 1934
We grow this on the Santa Clara University fence. It’s a nice once blooming climber, pale pink, double. Not in Commerce. 2 plants
|'Golden Wings' O-23-8 HSpn 1956 Shepherd. A beautiful, once-blooming pale yellow rose with a wild look.||See Photo|
|'Galaxy' Moore 1980
A deep red miniature.
|'Galleria' P-25-13 Hybrid Rugosa Weddle 1990||See Photo|
|'Gloire des Rosomanes' Hybrid Bourbon Plantier 1825 This plant comes from San Juan Bautista, and often has lighter pink flowers than usual.||See Photo|
|'Gloire Lyonnaise' Hybrid Perpetual/Hybrid Tea Guillot 1884 This is a wonderful repeat blooming creamy white rose, well suited for our climate.||See Photo|
|'Lorrie Freeman' P-7-32 Hybrid Kordesii ~1995 Liggett This is a dwarf sport of Dortmund, named for one of the founders of our garden.|
| 'Pâquerette' Polyantha Guillot 1872
One of the original polyanthas
|'Petite Pink Scotch' Found at an old plantation in North Carolina in 1949. It makes a mounding shrub, suitable for a hillside or cascading over a small wall.||See Photo|
|'Thorsbyana' Ayrshire 1840 Bennett||See Photo|
|'Rise n Shine' Min 1977 Moore||See Photo|
|'Blush Noisette' Noisette 1814||See Photo|
Roses donated to us by Vintage Gardens
With the closing this year of Vintage Gardens, many of these roses will no longer be commercially available.
- Casino LCl 1963 See Photo
- Flora #2, (Raspberry Ripple) HSet See Photo
- Fritz Nobis S 1940 See Photo
- Golden Threshold HGig 2004 See Photo
- "Legacy of Elizabeth Moore" HT See Photo
- Mme Jules Bouché Cl. HT 1938 See Photo
- Mrs. Arthur Curtiss James LCl 1933 See Photo
- Red Coat S/Aus 1973 See Photo
- "Ritchie's Red Climber" ClHT
- R. banksia banksia See Photo
- Virginian Rambler HArv <1885
- 3 Windermere R 1932 See Photo
- Blaze LCl 1932 See Photo
- 5 Lawrence Johnston 1923 ClHF/LCl See Photo
- Verdi 1984 HMsk See Photo
- Rodhatte 1912 Fl See Photo
- Leverkusen 1954 ClFl See Photo
- Sadlers Wells 1983 S See Photo
- Purity 1917 LCl See Photo
- Cooper’s Burmese HSp See Photo
- 2 Reine Olga de Wurtemberg 1881 ClHT See Photo
- America 1915 R See Photo
- 4 Chevy Chase 1939 R See Photo
- 3 Ramona 1913 HLaev See Photo
- Vina Banksia See Photo
- 2 Cl. Queen Elizabeth Gr See Photo
- 2 Rosa roxburghii normalis Sp See Photo
- 2 Cli. Goldilocks 1951 ClFl See Photo
- Ellen Willmott 1935 HT See Photo
- 2 Mary Queen of Scots HSpn See Photo
- 2 Gold Star 1966 S/Pillar See Photo
- 2 White Cockade 1969 LCl See Photo
- 2 Rosa palustris scandens Sp See Photo
- Sympathie 1964 LCl See Photo
- Olive 1982 S/Pillar See Photo
Roses donated by Burlington Rose Nursery:
- 2 Lo and Behold 2008 Mini-Flora See Photo
- Peach Delight 1994 Mini-Flora See Photo
- Roller Coaster 1987 Min See Photo
- Paul Ecke Jr. 2004 Shrub See Photo
- Popcorn 1973 Min See Photo
- Over the Rainbow 1972 Min See Photo
This page was produced by Jill Perry with help and pictures from David Giroux, Jeri Jennings, Anita Clevenger, Judy Eitzen, Masha McLaughlin and Guadalupe River Park Conservancy.
This page was last updated on 1/24/14.